Admission to any graduate degree program requires:
- Baccalaureate degree from an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the Council holding membership in the Association of Universities and Colleges in Canada, or a degree which, in the judgment of St. Mark’s College Senate, is of equivalent standing.
- Students should have the interests, aptitudes, and personal qualities necessary for the particular application of the degree they are seeking.
- Students should normally have a “B” average in their first degree.
- Candidates should be fluent enough in English to be able to participate actively in seminars and in writing essays and examinations.
If English is not the applicant’s first language, the candidate may be required to demonstrate English language proficiency by taking the English Placement Test and/or submitting scores from a standardized language proficiency test such as the TOEFL or IELTS.
Candidates without an appropriate undergraduate degree may apply to the program as non-traditional learners. Under special circumstances, some students may be admitted without a first degree at the discretion of the Dean of Theology. Such applicants must write a history explaining how their work, volunteering, leisure activities, courses, etc. have contributed to their learning and preparation to take graduate theological courses. The Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada limits the number of students admissible without a first degree to a specific percentage per program.
St. Mark’s College welcomes applications from qualified international students of all cultural, religious and linguistic backgrounds.
All international students have to meet the General College Admission Requirements as outlined above. International applicants can demonstrate their English-language proficiency by submitting scores from a standardized language proficiency test such as the TOEFL or IELTS. The minimum TOEFL score required for admission is 550 (PBT) or 83 (iBT). An overall band score of 6.5 in the academic IELTS test is required for admission to St Mark’s College.
Your Application Checklist:
• Non-refundable application fee
• Transcript of academic record from all post-secondary institutions attended (Original copies must be sent directly to St. Mark's College from the granting institution)
• Letter of intent
• Two letters of recommendation
• Proof of English Proficiency (Required for international students)