Vision, Mission and Values
Our Vision: The Community of St. Mark’s will become the vibrant centre of Catholic higher educational and intellectual life at UBC and in British Columbia.
This community, including St. Mark’s College, Corpus Christi College and St. Mark’s Parish form an integrated Catholic centre at the University of British Columbia. Serving the needs of Catholic higher education in the Province of British Columbia, we are committed to promoting an authentic Christian humanism, marked by the pursuit of academic excellence and animated by the joy of searching for, discovering and communicating truth and meaning in every field of knowledge. We engage students in the integration and synthesis of faith and reason so that they will serve society charged with a commitment to think rigorously, to act justly and to serve faithfully.
- Faith and Reason – emphasizing the Catholic intellectual tradition and the “two wings on which the human spirit rises to the contemplation of truth” (Pope St. John Paul II, Fides et Ratio), we are a meeting place of faith and reason that values the importance of unfettered inquiry and freedom of conscience for both students and faculty.
- Individual Potential – stressing the importance of inquiry, dialogue and research, we support the specific educational goals of every student – academic, professional, personal and ministerial - and promote the development of their full potential.
- Community – committing to equality, diversity and accessibility, we are a caring community of students, faculty, staff and alumni who are rooted in the Gospel message of Jesus Christ.
- Catholic Leadership – acknowledging our role in forming women and men of character, who, faithful to the Christian truth they have learned and experienced at the Colleges, will strive to improve their workplaces and communities through their commitment to equality, their promotion of social justice and their encouragement of hope.
- Encounter and Dialogue – understanding that we are entrusted by God as a community of His stewards to bring the richness of our faith and of the Catholic intellectual tradition to every situation in a spirit of openness, respect, civility and cooperation.